KB5012170 Causing BitLocker issues in the latest Windows updates
Microsoft has officially confirmed the recent security update for Secure Boot DBX (KB5012170) causes computers to boot into BitLocker recovery, requiring users to enter the recovery keys.
Microsoft Notification: Heath Dashboard Information
- Client: Windows 11, version 21H2
- Server: None
1. Run the following command from Administrator command prompt:
Manage-bde -protectors -disable %systemdrive% -rebootcount 2
2. Install the update KB5012170, if not already installed
3. Restart the device.
4. Restart the device again.
5. BitLocker should automatically be enabled after two boots. If you want to manually resume BitLocker to verify that it is enabled, use the following command:
Manage-bde -protectors -Enable %systemdrive%
How to install and configure DHCP Server in Windows Server 2022
This Article covers how to install and configure DHCP Server in Windows Server 2022. This DHCP server will provide IP for network devices in the network.
How install DHCP Server
- Launch Server Manager
- Click on Manage and click on Add Roles and Features
- Click on Next on Before you Begin page
- Select Role based or feature-based installation and click on Next
- Select the server and click on next
- Select DHCP Server in the list of roles and click on Add Features and then click Next
- Click Next on the Features section
- Click Next on DHCP Server section
- Click Install
- When the installation finishes, you will see a yellow escalation mark beside the flag. Click on that
- Click on Complete DHCP Configuration
- Click on Next and then Close
How to configure DHCP
- Launch Server Manager
- Click on Tools and select DHCP
- Once the DHCP console opens, verify you are connected to your server and expand it
- Right Click on IPv4 and select New Scope
- New Scope Wizard will pop up, click on Next on the initial setup page
- Give a Name and Description for the scope and click Next
- Enter the Start IP Address and End IP Address
- In the second section, enter the Subnet Mask and click Next
- If you need an IP excluded, enter the specific IP or range in order for that IP to be excluded and click next
- Lease Duration, enter the duration for scope lease when IP is distributed by the server. Default is 1 day.
- Click on Yes, I want to configure these option now to configure Default Gateway, DNS Server and click next
- Default Gateway – enter the IP Address and click on Add and then Next
- Domain Name and DNS Server – In Parent domain, enter the name of your domain. Under IP address enter all the DNS Server IP in your name and click on Add and click on Next
- WINS, enter the IP address of WINS server if its in your network and then click Next
- Select Yes, I want to activate this scope now and click Next and then click on Finish
- Now under IPv4, you will see the scope running now
How to install Fonts in Windows 10
This Article will cover how to install Fonts to Windows 10. Your newly installed fonts will be available in Microsoft Applications and other application including Adobe Photoshop / Illustrator.
You may purchase font on the internet or use other site such as 1001font to download free fonts.
How to install Fonts from File Folder
- Extract the ZIP font folder
- Double click the font and click on Install the font.
- If you have multiple files in your folder, select all the fonts and right click and click on install
How to install Fonts using Font Menu
- Extract the ZIP font folder
- Open Settings and search for fonts.
- Drag all the fonts from the folder and drop it in the Font Menu
After installation of the font, launch/relaunch the application to use the newly install font.
How to create rules/filters in Gmail
This article covers how to set up email filters in Gmail through your web browser. This KB will walk you though how to setup a new filter and manage existing filters.
Filters help you manage your email by applying labels to emails, automatically archive or delete messages, move emails to different folders and mark messages with stars. Filers also allows you to forward Gmail emails to other email address.
How to Create a Gmail Rule
- Open Gmail
- On the top search bar click on the “Show Search Option”
- In the Show Search Option select one or more criteria for your rule.
- From : Specify a sender
- To: Specify a Recipient
- Subject: Full or Partial text in subject
- Has the Words: Filter by words(s) that may be in the subject or body
- Doesn’t have: Filter by words(s) that may not be in the subject or body
- Size: Specify the size either greater than or less than a specific baseline measurement
- Date Within: Filter messages based on when the email was send
- Search: Specify the folder to conduct the search in
- Has Attachment: Select this option if you want to search email with attachment
- Click on Create Filter
- In this section you choose the action you want to apply to the emails filtered by the option selected prior. Example: Star It will star all the emails filtered and new incoming emails
- Click on Create Filter
How to Manage Existing Rules
- Open Gmail
- Select Settings (Gear Icon)
- Click on See All Settings
- Click on Filters and Blocked Addresses
- Click on Edit to manage the rules
How to create Outlook signature?
This article covers how to create and setup client side email signatures in Outlook.
Outlook Signature Setup Steps
1. Launch Microsoft Outlook from the Start Menu
2. In Outlook click on File > Options > Mail
3. Then, in the Outlook Options window under Mail tab, click Signatures… in the Compose messages section.
4. Click New to create your Outlook signature. Type in a name for the signature.
5. In the Edit Signature section, create your signature.
APC UPS zero-day bugs can remotely burn out devices, disable power
A set of three critical zero-day vulnerabilities now tracked as TLStorm could let hackers take control of uninterruptible power supply (UPS) devices from APC, a subsidiary of Schneider Electric.
The flaws affect APC Smart-UPS systems that are popular in a variety of activity sectors, including governmental, healthcare, industrial, IT, and retail.
- Install the patches available on the Schneider Electric website
- If you are using the NMC, change the default NMC password (“apc”) and install a publicly-signed SSL certificate so that an attacker on your network will not be able to intercept the new password. To further limit the attack surface of your NMC, refer to the Schneider Electric Security Handbook for NMC 2 and NMC 3.
- Deploy access control lists (ACLs) in which the UPS devices are only allowed to communicate with a small set of management devices and the Schneider Electric Cloud via encrypted communications.
How to install Android Apps on Windows 11
As of February 2022, Android apps are available in the stable channel of Windows 11, unfortunately only in the US
Install Android Apps in Windows 11
Ensure the Feb 2022 Windows 11 update is installed – KB5010414
- Enable hardware virtualization
- Launch Microsoft Store
- Search for Amazon Appstore and install
- A pop-up will appear and guide you through the setup process.
- After the last step, you will need to restart you desktop
- After reboot, launch the Amazon Appstore
- Login into Amazon Appstore using your Amazon account, if you don’t have one, create a new one
- After you login, search for the app and select an app to install
- The installed app can be found in the Start Menu
How to Uninstall a Windows Update
This article outlines how uninstall a Windows update either on a Windows Server or Desktop
A recently installed Windows Update is causing an issue with a component of the Server / Desktop or causing a blue screen
Uninstall the Windows Update
Note: Uninstalling the update will require a Server/Desktop Reboot
- Launch Control Panel
- Navigate to Program and Features
- On the left navigation panel, click on View Installed Updates
- Select the KB that is causing the issue and click on Uninstall
How to Trace Email Messages in Microsoft 365
This article describes how to conduct mail trace in Exchange Online
A Message Trace can be used to trace emails through Exchange Online, based on defined criteria (for example an email address, date range or delivery status).
- Log into https://portal.office.com as an admin
- Click on Admin
- Under Admin Centers, click on Exchange
- Click on Mail Flow -> Message Tract
- Click on Start a Trace
- Fill out the New Message Trace form as per your requirement
- Click on Search
Reset Windows Update with Script
This article will cover how to use the Windows Update Reset script to fix any Windows Update error encountered.
Windows Update is not able to update the workstation/server
Windows Update has encountered an unknown error
The batch script will automatically reset all services associated with Windows Update
SoftwareDistribution folder, BTS service, Cryptographic Services, etc.
Copy the following script into Notepad and save as WUReset.bat
Run the script as an administrator.
echo Reset Windows Update
attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2
attrib -h -r -s %windir%system32catroot2*.*
net stop wuauserv
net stop CryptSvc
net stop BITS
ren %windir%system32catroot2 catroot2.old
ren %windir%SoftwareDistribution sold.old
ren "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader" downloader.old
net Start BITS
net start CryptSvc
net start wuauserv
echo Task completed successfully...
After running this script, restart your computer and run Windows Update again.